Redesigning Cetaris.com

Improving website usability to increase conversions and enhance the quality of traffic (reduce bounce rates, increase time on page, and increase conversion rates).


User research, Ideation, Wireframe, Prototyping, User Testing, Illustrations


Sketch, Illustrator, Zeplin, FullStory, Google Analytics, Trello


Nov 2018 - July 2019


1 UX Designer (Me),  1 Deveoper,  1 Illustrator, 1 Project Manager


During my time at Cetaris, I had the opportunity to redesign the marketing website and improve the information architecture of the customer support application.

During my time at Cetaris, I had the opportunity to redesign the marketing website and improve the information architecture of the customer support application.

Team Setup and Role

I was situated under the marketing and design team, with one copywriter/project manager, one illustrator, and a third-party developer. Every week I worked with the lead UX designer on the product team to get feedback and critiques on my work.

My main role in this project included creating user interview questions, coming up with user flows, designing low and high-fidelity wireframes, collaborating with the developer to bring the designs to life, and QA testing for bugs. Some minor work I did involve creating hero illustrations for the industry page and creating product mockups


Through customer interviews, Fullstory sessions, and Google Analytics, I uncovered five issues that occurred within the marketing website:

  1. High bounce rate
  2. Low session duration
  3. Inconsistent design style 
  4. Lack of content clarity
  5. Information architecture within the navigation

How might we reduce bounce rates while increasing conversions and customer acquisitions on Cetaris.com?


The redesign of Cetaris.com focused on three main aspects:

  1. Improve the information architecture and website accessibility.
  2. Align the website design styles with the customer-facing products that were already in place.
  3. Revise website content by “showing” Cetaris products rather than “telling” prospective customers about it. 

In this project, my team and I used the Kanban agile system. We used Trello to monitor the progress of each task within the first release and prioritized the work based on how often users visit each page.

Phase work deliverables

In the first release of the website, our goal was to redesign the home page, product pages, industry pages and contact page. The company page would be left alone until the next iteration. However, based on time restraints, I was not able to fully redesign the industry pages.

User Research

Our goal was to interview recently converted customers. They were decision-makers during the selection process for fleet maintenance software. In the research session, our main goal was to understand the mindset of prospective customers during the buying process and see what they valued in maintenance software. 

I also analyzed FullStory sessions to see the user journey and touchpoints that allowed users to convert, and how to further improve on it. 

Research Methods

Website walkthrough

Goal: To understand how prospective customers go through the website. 

1-1 interviews

Goal: This method allowed us to get qualitative data that informed the design direction.

Card sorting exercise

Goal: We used card sorting as a way to understand what our customers and prospective customers valued when deciding on a maintenance software solution. It allowed us to prioritize what content comes first. 


Based on the research and journey mapping phase, I translated the insights onto the redesign.

Landing page

We rethought the messaging and created supporting illustrations to make it more clear what Cetaris did.



The new dropdown menu was designed to create a clear differentiation between the different products that Cetaris offers.

Navigation products bar


This section allows users to navigate directly to different Cetaris products.


Asset type

The two buttons (fleet assets and facility assets) was created to guide users to the right products they seek.

Two buttons with images asking which type of asset a user has
See the full website
Challenges & Learning

Over the course of the project, I faced many challenges. During the research phase, it was difficult to find prospective customers to interview that were within our niche (maintenance software) and who held upper management roles. Therefore, the second-best option was to speak to new customers who recently converted through our website.

Another challenge I experienced was balancing the needs of SEO and content with user experience. In the old website, most people ended up skipping over a lot of the content because it was overwhelming to consume. I tried to fix that issue by working with the copywriter to reduce the amount of copy that was shown to users. In the end, we had to compromise between having a specific amount of content for SEO and searchability purposes.

Working with a third-party developer effectively required alignment on shared processes and communication protocols. One tool that was particularly helpful was implementing an excel sheet to document and report bugs during acceptance testing in the development phase.

All  /  Vax  /  Cetaris  /  Portr  /  Travel App  /  Xesto  /  Boston Children's Museum

Email  |  LinkedIn  |  Twitter

Gillian Wu © 2020